The early history of Huron is closely linked with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. At the direction of Marvin Hughitt, General Manager of the Railroad, the west bank of the James River was selected as the division headquarters of the railroad. The company gained title to 880 acres of land at that location. Huron formed and named for the Huron Indians in 1880. Exactly who gave it the name was never established, apparently either Marvin Hughitt or someone in the Chicago office of the C&NW railroad company.
According to the history books, Dakotaland Federal Credit Union came from humble beginnings in Huron as Armour Federal Credit Union with a mere 10 members in 1935. In 1983, the Credit Union's only sponsor group, Armour Meat Packing plant closed leaving 550 members wondering if they would lose their credit union permanently. The Board of Directors chose to expand the field of membership to include other employer groups in Huron and changed the Credit Union's name to Dakotaland Federal Credit Union. In 1997, another plant closing (Dakota Pork), gave way to community charter approval for Dakotaland. With nearly 6,000 existing members, the Credit Union opened its doors and services to anyone who lived or worked in Beadle County.
The Main Branch at 1371 Dakota Avenue South, or otherwise known as the Operations Center, was the first Dakotaland Federal Credit Union established in May of 1984. It was relocated from it's start up meat packing location in Huron, which was a descendant of the Credit Union's original select employer group. This facility sustained a number of editions over the next 15 years to reach its current size. The North Branch location at 321 Dakota Avenue North was established in December of 2005.In 2010 the Credit Union obtained a 27 county rural community charter expansion. This charter allows Dakotaland to extend credit union services to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in the counties of Beadle, Jerauld, Sanborn, Kingsbury, Brookings, Moody, Lake, Miner, McCook, Hanson, Davison, Aurora, Brule, Buffalo, Hand, Hyde, Hughes, Sully, Faulk, Spink, Clark, Codington, Hamlin, Grant, Deuel, Brown and Day. In December of 2018, the South Branch, or also referred to at the Administrative Building, was erected at 2297 Kansas Avenue SE in Huron.