Branches

Aberdeen - Coming soon!

History

The City of Aberdeen was named for Aberdeen, Scotland, the hometown of Milwaukee Railroad President Alexander Mitchell. This new city incorporated in 1881 and became the county seat for Brown County. The nine different rail lines converging in Aberdeen from all directions, much like the spokes of a wheel converging at its hub quickly caused Aberdeen to be known as the Hub City of the Dakotas.
 
On February 12, 1949, Northwestern Bell employees create Aberdeen Telco Federal Credit Union. In 1982 the name was changed to Aberdeen Area Telco and Utilities Federal Credit Union when NorthWestern Public Service employees became members. A merger with Brownco Federal Credit Union in 1986, gave way to another name change and Consolidated Federal Credit Union was the result. It was 1996 when Hubco Federal Credit Union merged, changing the name to Consolidated Hub-Co Federal Credit Union.

Consolidated Hub-Co Federal Credit Union merged one last time on January 1, 2017 and became the 10th branch location for Dakotaland Federal Credit Union.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
1601 8th Ave NE
Aberdeen, SD 57401

Phone:

605.225.7711

Hours

Lobby:
8:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)

Brookings

Brookings sign

History

Both Brookings county and the city were named after one of South Dakota's pioneer promoters, Wilmot Wood Brookings (1830 - 1905). Brookings set out for the Dakota Territory in June 1857and became one of the first settlers near Sioux Falls. He and his group represented the Western Town Company. Brookings rose to a high position in the Territory, once being a member of the Squatter Territorial Legislature and later being elected Squatter Governor. He then became appointed superintendent of a road that was to be built from the Minnesota state line west to the Missouri River about 30 miles north of Ft. Pierre. It was during the construction of this road that Brookings came into contact with land that was part of this county at the time. Because of his drive to settle the Dakota Territory, Brookings County and City were named for a spirited pioneer promoter.

Orignally chartered in 1955, SDSU Brookings Federal Credit Union served SDSU and the City of Brookings. Their merger with Dakotaland took place in June of 2005.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
2423 6th Street
Brookings, SD 57006

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.697.5922
Toll Free:
866.697.5922
Fax:
605.697.6566

Hours

Lobby:
8:30am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:00am-5:30pm (Mon-Fri)
9:00am-12:00pm (Sat)

DeSmet

DeSmet sign

History

De Smet is a city in and the county seat of Kingsbury County. It was named for Belgian Father Pierre De Smet, a 19th-century Jesuit missionary who worked with Native Americans in the United States and its territories for most of his life. De Smet was the childhood home of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Dakotaland Federal Credit Union established the De Smet Branch in November of 2011. It's original location was in the Helms Insurance building at 105 Highway 14 West. In early 2014, a new building was erected at the same intersection, but across the street to the north. This is now the current home to the Credit Union in DeSmet.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
108 US Hwy. 14 W
De Smet, SD 57231

Mailing Address

PO Box 99
De Smet, SD 57231

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.854.5959
Toll Free:
800.440.6573
Fax:
605.854.9120

Hours

Lobby:
9:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
9:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)

Huron North

Huron sign

History

The early history of Huron is closely linked with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. At the direction of Marvin Hughitt, General Manager of the Railroad, the west bank of the James River was selected as the division headquarters of the railroad. The company gained title to 880 acres of land at that location. Huron formed and named for the Huron Indians in 1880. Exactly who gave it the name was never established, apparently either Marvin Hughitt or someone in the Chicago office of the C&NW railroad company.

According to the history books, Dakotaland Federal Credit Union came from humble beginnings in Huron as Armour Federal Credit Union with a mere 10 members in 1935. In 1983, the Credit Union's only sponsor group, Armour Meat Packing plant closed leaving 550 members wondering if they would lose their credit union permanently. The Board of Directors chose to expand the field of membership to include other employer groups in Huron and changed the Credit Union's name to Dakotaland Federal Credit Union. In 1997, another plant closing (Dakota Pork), gave way to community charter approval for Dakotaland. With nearly 6,000 existing members, the Credit Union opened its doors and services to anyone who lived or worked in Beadle County.

Dakotaland Federal Credit Union created the North Branch location at 321 Dakota Avenue North in December of 2005. In 2010 the Credit Union obtained a 25 county rural community charter expansion. This charter allows Dakotaland to extend credit union services to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in the counties of Beadle, Jerauld, Sanborn, Kingsbury, Brookings, Moody, Lake, Miner, McCook, Hanson, Davison, Aurora, Brule, Buffalo, Hand, Hyde, Hughes, Sully, Faulk, Spink, Clark, Codington, Hamlin, Grant and Deuel.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
321 Dakota Ave. N.
Huron, SD 57350

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.353.8733
Toll Free:
800.440.6573
Fax: 
605.352.5918

Hours

Lobby:
8:00am-5:30pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:00am-5:30pm (Mon-Fri)

Huron Main

Huron city sign

History

The early history of Huron is closely linked with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. At the direction of Marvin Hughitt, General Manager of the Railroad, the west bank of the James River was selected as the division headquarters of the railroad. The company gained title to 880 acres of land at that location. Huron formed and named for the Huron Indians in 1880. Exactly who gave it the name was never established, apparently either Marvin Hughitt or someone in the Chicago office of the C&NW railroad company.

According to the history books, Dakotaland Federal Credit Union came from humble beginnings in Huron as Armour Federal Credit Union with a mere 10 members in 1935. In 1983, the Credit Union's only sponsor group, Armour Meat Packing plant closed leaving 550 members wondering if they would lose their credit union permanently. The Board of Directors chose to expand the field of membership to include other employer groups in Huron and changed the Credit Union's name to Dakotaland Federal Credit Union. In 1997, another plant closing (Dakota Pork), gave way to community charter approval for Dakotaland. With nearly 6,000 existing members, the Credit Union opened its doors and services to anyone who lived or worked in Beadle County.

Dakotaland Federal Credit Union created the North Branch location at 321 Dakota Avenue North in December of 2005. In 2010 the Credit Union obtained a 25 county rural community charter expansion. This charter allows Dakotaland to extend credit union services to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in the counties of Beadle, Jerauld, Sanborn, Kingsbury, Brookings, Moody, Lake, Miner, McCook, Hanson, Davison, Aurora, Brule, Buffalo, Hand, Hyde, Hughes, Sully, Faulk, Spink, Clark, Codington, Hamlin, Grant and Deuel.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
1371 Dakota Avenue South
Huron, SD 57350

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.352.2845
Toll Free:
800.440.6573
Fax: 
605.352.2852

Hours

Lobby:
8:30am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
7:30am-6:00pm (Mon-Fri)
9:00am-12:00pm (Sat)

Madison

Madison sign

History

The arrival of William Lee and Charles Walker in the Dakota Territory in 1870 led to the establishment of the City of Madison founded in 1880 as the town of "Herman", which was located inside what is now Lake Herman State Park. After considerable political maneuvering, name-calling and shady real estate deals, the people in Herman in late 1880 were persuaded to begin moving their businesses and homes to the Madison location we know today. By 1883 only about three buildings were left at the Herman town site, and Madison had retained their designation as county seat for Lake County. Both the lake and the town were named after Madison, Wisconsin which was near the earlier home of Lee and Walker.

Interlakes C.A.P Federal Credit Union was initially chartered on September 22nd, 1970. Ten members of Interlakes Community Action, Inc., (a private non-profit Community Action Agency created under the auspices of the Economic Opportunity Act of President Johnson's War on Poverty) deposited $50 each and then asked businessmen from Madison's Main Street to make small deposits to help get the single employer credit union started. On March 9th, 1973, the credit union was approved for a community charter to merge several smaller credit unions in the same area and took the name Interlakes Federal Credit Union. Interlakes' community charter served those in Lake County at the time it merged with Dakotaland in October of 2011.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
1004 S. Washington Ave.
Madison, SD 57042

Mailing Address

PO Box 29
Madison, SD 57042

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.256.6511
Toll Free:
800.440.6573
Fax: 
605.352.5918

Hours

Lobby:
9:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:30am-5:30pm (Mon-Th)
8:30am-6:00pm (Fri)

Mitchell

Mitchell sign

History

Mitchell Area Federal Credit Union began as H of MSD Federal Credit Union on July 28, 1954. The field of membership included employees of Hormel Packing Company who worked in or had headquarters in Mitchell, South Dakota; Federal Meat Inspectors assigned to the Hormel Packing Company plant at Mitchell, employees of Local 91, United Packing House Workers of America and employees of the credit union. The first office space was located in the livestock office at Hormel's, now known as American Foods Group.

On October 31, 1978, Mitchell Printing Trades Federal Credit Union (now known as McLeod's Printing & Office Supply) merged with H of MSD Federal Credit Union. Shortly thereafter, the Hormel plant closed on August 17, 1979. Due to the plant closure, the Credit Union was granted a request to change its name to DH of MSD Federal Credit Union and the field of membership now included anyone living in Davison or Hanson Counties.

In 1981, the Credit Union moved to 514 N. Lawler sharing office space with Palace City Federal Credit Union. It then moved to 105 West 5th sharing an office with Midco Communications and changed the name to Mitchell Area Federal Credit Union on January 13, 1986. The Credit Union then relocated once again in 1991 to 1600 N. Sanborn in the Village Bowl Complex. Finally in 1999 the Credit Union took occupancy and began operations from their newly built and current facility at 301 S. Ohlman. Their merger with Dakotaland was effective as of January 1, 2014.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
301 S. Ohlman, Ste. 1
Mitchell, SD 57301

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.996.4431
Toll Free:
800.440.6573
Fax: 
605.996.2023

Hours

Lobby:
8:30am-4:30pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:00am-5:30pm (Mon-Fri)

Redfield

Redfield sign

History

The first settlers arrived in the Redfield area in 1878, and a post office was established two years later under the name "Stennett Junction. The "Redfield" name was adopted in 1881. The town became the seat of Spink County in 1886, following a six year legal and political battle among several Spink County towns. Redfield rapidly became a major town in the region, due in part to its status as a railroad center—the town was a crossroads of two lines of the Chicago and North Western Railway, and was also served by the Milwaukee Railroad. Railroads brought supplies, people, and animals, and also provided for transportation of crops back East.

Turtle Creek Federal Credit Union was established August 26, 1935 as Redfield State Employees Federal Credit Union and originally served the employees of the Redfield State Hospital and State School. As other select employee groups were added over the years (to a total of 12) the name was changed to Turtle Creek Federal Credit Union on January 1st, 1988. The Credit Union was originally housed at the State Hospital and remained there for nearly 70 years, until they relocated to their current location at 509 North Main in 2003. When Turtle Creek merged with Dakotaland in January of 2012 their community charter served those in Spink County.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
509 N. Main St.
Redfield SD 57469

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.472.3882
Toll Free:
800.440.6573
Fax: 
605.352.5918

Hours

Lobby:
9:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:30am-5:30pm (Mon-Fri)

Volga

Volga sign

History

Volga was founded by the Western Town Lot Company on December 27, 1879 by Col. Arthur Jacoby. It was originally named "Bandy Town" after the Bandy family, early settlers there. Later, the railroad assigned it the name "Volga" not after the Volga River, as some believe, but after the Iowa town of the same name.

Volga FCU was formed in the early 1960's and initially managed by Lawrence Borsvold. The credit union's original field of membership included the Volga Coop, Land O' Lakes and Sioux Valley Schools and operated out of the Volga Coop. Mavis Vostad took over as manager in 1975 and the office was relocated to Bob's Texaco station, which Mavis and her husband owned at that time. Volga Federal Credit Union made another move to the main street of Volga in 1985. The merger with Dakotaland Federal Credit Union took place in January of 1997 and the office made one last move in December of 2001 to their current address at 99 Caspain Avenue in Volga.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
99 Caspian Avenue
Volga, SD 57071

Mailing Address

PO Box 20
Volga, SD 57071

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.627.5880
Toll Free:
800.440.8148
Fax:
605.627.9446

Hours

Lobby:
8:30am-5:00pm (Mon-Fri)
Drive-Up:
8:00am-5:00pm (Mon-Th)
8:00am-5:30pm (Fri)

Watertown - Coming soon!

Address

Dakotaland FCU
1101 9th Avenue SE
Watertown, SD 57201

Woonsocket

Woonsocket sign

History

Woonsocket was developed in 1883 as a railroad town because of its location at the junction of the Chicago, Milwaukee and Santa Fe Railroads. C.H. Prior, the superintendent of the railroad, named the town Woonsocket after his home town of Woonsocket, Rhode Island. The town was incorporated in 1888.

Dakotaland Federal Credit Union opened the Woonsocket Branch in April of 2004. It's original and still current location is within the Dakotaland-owned building shared with Woony Foods (formerly Darin's Food Market) found at 719 E. 7th Street.

Address

Dakotaland FCU
719 E. 7th St., Suite 2
Woonsocket, SD 57385

Phone & Fax

Phone:
605.796.4186
Toll Free:
800.440.6458
Fax:
605.352.5918

Hours

Lobby:
8:30am-5:00pm (Mon-Th)
8:30am-5:30pm (Fri)